- Marital Settlement Agreement - $149 Maryland Divorce with Children - with Maryland Separation Agreement - $299.00
- Maryland Divorce without Children - with Maryland Separation Agreement - $249
- Premarital Agreement - $149
- Complaint for Child Support - $149
- Modification of Child Support - $149
- Complaint for Visitation Package - $149
Wills and Estate Planning
Online Legal Advice
Maryland Common Law Marriage
Maryland does not allow the creation of a "common law" marriage, a relationship in which a couple lives together but have not participated in a lawful ceremony. Unlike some other states, in Maryland a couple cannot acquire marital rights and responsibilities by living together for a particular period of time. You do not need legal action to end such a relationship, if it was created in Maryland.
However, Maryland does recognize as valid, common law marriages created in other states if the legal requirements of those states have been met. As a result, legal action is needed to dissolve legal “common law” marriages performed in other states and foreign countries in compliance with their licensing and ceremonial regulations. The courts are available for determining the rights of parties now living in Maryland.
As long as a couple lives together as husband and wife, the question of validity of their marriage is unlikely to arise. However, for purposes of inheritance or the benefits of pension plans or social security, a valid marriage is required.
Last Revised: November 1, 2011