Richard S. Granat, J.D.
Welcome to MD Family Lawyer.com – the only Maryland divorce law firm that provides online legal services for a fixed fee in Maryland in uncontested divorce and other family law matters.
One of my passions is figuring out how to help people divorce peacefully and get on with their lives, without spending thousands of dollars on legal fees. If you have children, the money is better spent on your children rather than on legal fees, if you can avoid it.
In 2002, I established Granat Legal Services, P.C., as the first online Maryland divorce law firm, to demonstrate the idea of a law firm that can deliver legal services over the Internet to couples seeking a low cost divorce.
I am the author of “How to Do Your Own Divorce in Maryland, Virginia, and the District of Columbia,” and “Divorce: A Do-It-Yourself Manual For Marylanders.” I am also a member of the Maryland Bar and District of Columbia Bar.
I am a graduate of Lehigh University (B.A.), Columbia University School of Law (J.D.), and the University of Pennsylvania (M.S.).
From time to time I have taught courses in Computers and the Law, Law Practice Management, and Family Law, at University of Maryland School of Law, University of Baltimore School of Law, the District of Columbia School of Law, and Florida Coastal School of Law.
I have served as Co-Chair of the ELawyering Task Force of the Law Practice Management Section of the American Bar Association, whose mission is to help lawyers deliver legal affordable legal services over the Internet to clients of moderate income. I am also a member of the Standing Committee on the Delivery of Legal Services of the ABA., which is concerned with developing new methods of delivering legal services to people of moderate means.
In addition, I have been:
- the Coordinator of a pro se project on self-help representation in family law matters. See research on pro se representation at http://www.pro-selaw.org. This is where I learned about the power of self-representation, and I maintain this site for others who are interested in this important movement.
- the Founder of the People’s Law Library of Maryland. This project taught me about the power of the Web to change peoples lives through the provision of legal information.
- a member of the American Bar Association, the Maryland Bar Association, (and a member of the Family Law Section for both), and the District of Columbia Bar Association.
- I am a graduate of Columbia University School of Law, (J.D.); University of Pennsylvania, (M.S.); and Lehigh University, (B.A.).
- a member of the core group that started the Civil Justice Network of Maryland.
- Member of the Board of Directors of Responsive Law – the leading organization advocating for the consumer’s voice in the legal system.
- Winner – FastCase50
- Winner- 2013 -ABA James I Keane Memorial Award for Excellence in the Delivery of Legal Services.
- Winner- 2010- ABA Louis M. Brown Lifetime Achievement Award for Legal Access
Granat Legal Services, P.C.
1125 West St., Suite 200
Annapolis, Maryland 21401
[We are a virtual law firm and only provide legal services on-line — over the Internet.The best way to reach our law firm is by email.]
The most secure way to communicate with our firm is through our secure client portal, which you can get to by registering here. For brief questions about Maryland family law don’t hesitate to use our free Legal Advice Service by email.
Phone: 561-622-9971 | Fax: 561-828-5812 | Support